Actor Razzaq – The king of Bangla Cinema thumbnail

Actor Razzaq – The king of Bangla Cinema

March 21, 2009

Sharmin Chowdhury talks to filmstar Razzak about his early days in Kolkata, his leading ladies and his undying passion for Bangla Movies

Actor Razzak ruled the film industry in Bangladesh from the 1960s all the way to the 1990s. He was the king of the heroes of Bangladeshi cinema, his good looks and powerful acting making him arguably the most famous and most popular actor our country has yet seen.

At his prime, he was a real heart-throb; women loved him and men wanted to be more like him. Even today, though his days of being featured in starring roles are behind him, he has lost none of his star quality. His ability to mesmerise those around him, whether through his acting or through the force of his personality, remains unblemished by age.

However, the story of Razzak’s becoming a famous movie hero is an unlikely one. Growing up in Kolkata, his ambitions didn’t lie in cinema but rather on the playing field. ‘I never intended to become an actor; I was rather into sports during my student life,’ he begins by saying. It was a rather random incident that placed him on the track that carried him to stardom. One year, his school was putting on a play at a function to celebrate Saraswati Puja and his sports teacher asked him to take part in it. Razzak, apparently not so willingly, acted for the first time in his life and enjoyed his first taste of joy of acting. After that, he voluntarily took part in many other plays at school and a time came when he decided to take up acting seriously.

But, like most great actors, he had to struggle to make it. First, he faced resistance from his family. His father Akbar Hossain and two brothers were businessmen and hence, he was expected to go into business as well. He did, however, receive support and encouragement from one if his brothers, Abdur Gaffar, and that made it much easier for him to chase his dream. ‘I come from a conservative family and it was not easy for me to go for my dreams to become an actor, but Mejho Bhai (Abdul Gaffar) helped me a lot,’ he says, ‘without him it would not have been possible for me to be where I am today.’

He started doing plays with senior artists after passing his secondary school examinations. He obviously had immense talent and he started getting more and more roles and gradually, he became a renowned drama artist in Kolkata.

The actor recalls his time in Kolkata with great nostalgia. ‘That is where I was born, where I started my acting career and got married.’ He talks about the amazing opportunities he got to see many famous artists of that time, actors like Uttam Kumar and Tapan Sinha who, like Razzak, also lived in the city’s Kaliganj area.

Razzak also mentions the name of Pijush Bose, a film director in Kolkata who had a great influence in his life. Had it not been for Pijush Bose, Razzak might not have come to Dhaka to become a film actor because it was Bose who told Razzak to migrate to Dhaka and start a career in films.

‘I migrated to Dhaka actually to pursue my dream to act in movies. I wanted to start with small characters in the movies in Kolkata but Pijush Bose did not let me, he told me to try for better roles and said that Dhaka would be a good place for me to start.’

Razzak migrated to Dhaka in 1964 with his his wife and 6 month old son Bapparaj. After settling down, he started acting in theatres and also worked as an assistant director for a while. He then continued his acting in television for two years. He had a role in a television drama serial named ‘Gharoa’. Meanwhile he acted in some small roles in different movies as well; at that time he had no idea that one day, roles would be created just for him.

Finally, in 1966, the famous film director Jahir Raihan offered him a role in the film ‘Behula’, the first movie where Razzak was cast as the hero. This was the result of his efforts to become a film actor, a dream which he carried with him from Kolkata. ‘I kept on trying for a chance to work in a movie. One day, I went to Jahir Raihan and told him about my interest and experience. He listened to me and offered me the role in Behula.’ It was just the beginning. Razzak’s second film was a classic, ‘Anwara’, and by the time of his third ‘Agun Niye Khela’, he had almost reached superstar status.

Razzak has acted in so many movies that he finds it difficult to pick out one or two favorites. He names quite a few, including ‘Jibon Theke Neya’, ‘Maynamati’, ‘Obujh Mon’, ‘Beimaan’, ‘Neel Akasher Niche’, ‘Oshikkhito’, ‘Chhutir Ghonta’ and ‘Baadi Theke Begum’. He says he played some of his most favourite characters in ‘Baadi Theke Begum’, ‘Oshikkhito’ and ‘Beimaan’.

The first actress to be paired with Razzak’s as the heroine was Shuchanda, though he is better known for his work alongside Kobori and Shabana. ‘I had a romantic pair with kobori, but I got paired with Shabana more times than with any other heroine. I had a good understanding with all of them.’

When asked how a star like him avoided rumours of relationships with the heroines, Razzak says, ‘my passion was acting and my love was my family, there was always a mutual understanding at work with my family and the support of my wife, Lakshmi, made it possible for me to avoid such rumours.’

Razzak played his last role as a hero in the 1994 movie ‘Ondho Bishwash’. Then, after a five year hiatus, he returned to the silver screen for a role in ‘Baba Kano Chakor’. Apparently, he needed that time to adapt to a new life which did not require the routines of his old one. Also, the break underlined his commitment to work in suitable roles. ‘I did not want to work in characters that no longer suited me or characters that were being imposed on me, so I took a break and came back to act in roles that suit me’.

His comeback film, ‘Baba Kano Chakor’, was a huge hit and he was asked to star in the Kolkata remake of the movie which also became a huge success. The famous actor of our country now acts in at least two movies in Kolkata every year in addition to his work here. His famous movies in Kolkata include ‘Sharthopor’ and ‘Onnodata’.

The once prolific actor is now very selective as most of the scripts do not have the same kind of appeal as they did before. He thinks it is the result of the change in the society and culture of our country. However, he is very happy that our film industry is fighting vulgarity quite successfully and feels that the industry has immense potential.

The quintessential hero of Bangladeshi cinema also feels proud as a father as his sons have willingly taken up acting as their profession. His elder son, Rezaul Karim Bapparaj, and younger son, Sajid Hossain, are both working in movies. ‘My family has always looked up to acting, my wife Lokkhi has had a huge contribution in my success and I have always inspired my sons to act in films and today when I see them working in this field, I feel really good.’

Related Images:

Be Sociable, Share!

Comments

comments

By CinemaGuru

64 Comments on "Actor Razzaq – The king of Bangla Cinema"

1. Lipi on Wed, 6th May 2009 11:05 pm

I was always an admirer and true supporter of Razzak and Shabana.When I was a student, I use to collect lot of pictures of Razzak and Shabana from Chitrali, the most favourite cine magazine. Whenever I went for watching any movie,I use to watch movie of the Razzak-Shabana couple only. Being an Engineer today, even though I’m very busy in my own life, yet, I make time to enjoy the movies of my favourite couple. Still, I’m so obsessed of the films Obujh mon, Chanda Hariye Galo, Modhu milon, Anurag and Matir ghar that, I enjoy these movies whenever I get time. Razzak’s acting on the silver screen always seems to be very real to me. The above interview that was conducted with Razzak gave me immense pleasure and a lot of valuable information about my beloved star. Compared to the other pairs,the Razzak-Shabana pair was always a craze to the viewers I guess.
    Today, Shabana is away from the film industry which really gives me much pain and sorrow.
    I would be very very glad if I could read more about my favourite pair Razzak and Shabana and watch more and more movies online.

2. Joseph on Thu, 7th May 2009 7:28 am

The article about actor Razzak is cool.

3. miahaminul on Sun, 24th May 2009 9:30 pm

hi

4. Tusher Khan on Wed, 22nd Jul 2009 11:41 pm

Hiuncle, How are you? I have so much quresity to talk with you. Are you agree with me?

5. sohel dhaka on Sat, 25th Jul 2009 10:59 pm

im sohel from bangladesh …call me +8801925900312….+8804473704480..mail ..sohel_mia21@yahoo.com

6. simanto karim on Thu, 10th Sep 2009 11:04 am

hai…..

7. tombrown on Thu, 24th Sep 2009 6:06 am

razzak films i admire most. while i was in east pakistan now bangladesh i use to go to cinema specialy to watch his movies. at that time being a school student i didnot understan bangla well but gradually watching his films i leasrnt bengali a lot. in this context i owe a lot of thanks to my favourite bengali actor razzak. reading an article about him just now i could not stop feelings about my favourit actor razzak.god bless him.

8. nasir on Thu, 1st Oct 2009 4:09 pm

razzak uncle my feborite actor.

9. nasir on Thu, 1st Oct 2009 4:13 pm

hi how are you

10. Md,Pervas Sorwar on Thu, 15th Oct 2009 2:23 am

ame bagla desher cinamai or natok a obineoy karta chai. ki babe shambob? amak janala ………..

11. Nasir Shahid on Tue, 3rd Nov 2009 10:29 am

What a great actor razzak is. He had one of great screen present and aura about him similar like other greats such as dilip kumar and uttam kumar had. I still enjoy watching his films in my spare time here in London. It reminds of my childhood time bangladesh, when I used bunk of school to watch his movies. Long live Razzak.

12. jashim uddin joy. on Wed, 18th Nov 2009 11:49 pm

dear sir,

i like your all cinema.

13. jashim uddin joy. on Wed, 18th Nov 2009 11:49 pm

please give me your mobille no.

my no. 01914701716

14. saibal dutta on Mon, 7th Dec 2009 12:14 am

Hello sir,I want to work in a bangali films.is it possible ,if so .Please call me or send me a mail in the given mail ID.my contact NO.is 9234467674

15. manna on Sat, 26th Dec 2009 5:56 am

sallam he amar banglar vai razzak apney to manna ke khuje ane selin ai amader shomukhe shey manna amader chere chole gelo tay onar bokto ame amar jeboner sesh shuro chawa je onnar voice dia ame kechoe korbo tay ashay ache dua korben parle help me ame 4ta voice copy korte pare and aro kecho kecho ja bolar ja sunar realy face face sunaty chay one chance gave me my dear brothers

16. Lipi on Wed, 13th Jan 2010 12:47 am

Razzak is unique and unparallel in his own field of specialization. No other actor in bangladesh film industry so far could compare his performance with Razzak, because only Razzak could exhibit his performance with 100% efficiency as a hero.I can never get tired watching his films again and again because it is an endless source of pleasure to me. Collecting DVDs of Razzak-Shabana pair is one my many favourite hobbies. I can never forget Razzak’s unique performance in his films like Obujh mon,Modhu milon, Rajanigandha, Anurag, Shondhan and many other hit films with Shabana. Razzak’s facial expression and dynamic personality in his roles in different films were really unbeatable and unforgettable. Long live Razzak.

17. HIFZUR RAHMAN on Fri, 29th Jan 2010 3:57 pm

HELP TO GET A SONG…

Hi there – CAN ANYONE HELP !! I am looking to obtain a certain song from the film “Oshikkhito” by Razzak – it goes something like this “master shiab, ami num dostokot shikteh chy”. Can anyone please help me or infact even better, e-mail me the mp3 song as I would be very grateful.

Thank you.

18. HIFZUR RAHMAN on Fri, 29th Jan 2010 4:01 pm

HELP TO GET A SONG…

Hi there – CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP !! I am looking for a certain song from the film “Oshikkhito” by Razzak – it goes something like this “master shiab, ami num dostokot shikteh chy”. Can anyone please tell me where I can get this song from in good quality or infact even better, e-mail me the mp3 song directly to me as I would be very grateful. My e-mail is “sh1pon@hotmail.com”

Thank you.

19. nargis khan on Tue, 2nd Feb 2010 5:58 am

hi sir apnake sallam my name is nargis khan.I want to work in a bangali films.is it possible,

20. hannan on Sat, 6th Feb 2010 6:46 am

bangla

21. asad on Fri, 5th Mar 2010 5:44 pm

please have an encounter with everybodys favorite shabana.

22. jasim on Mon, 29th Mar 2010 12:42 am

hi hope u are a fine,
    i m jasim,pls give me your email no or contact no.folling this my address.

jasimtrn@yahoo.com
    01914701716

23. SABUJ THEOPHIL REBEIRO on Fri, 16th Apr 2010 1:06 pm

I AM ALWAYA MORE INTERESTED ABOUT AOR BANGLA FILM,ANDTHINK ITS DEVELOPMENTS , BUT I AM NOT RELATEDWITH THE FILM WORLD

24. manish kalra on Sun, 18th Apr 2010 2:04 am

dear sir

i want to work in film’s & telefilm’s plz help me sir

25. Jamal Uddin on Thu, 22nd Apr 2010 7:53 am

Sir,

I’m a service holder, I would like to know about yourself. Can you pls tell me something about yourself?

I’m greatful if you write something.

Best regards,
    Jamal

26. FARUK on Fri, 4th Jun 2010 5:36 pm

Razzak was the best looking actor of yesteryears. He resembled with the look of Uttam Kumar. In fact he was the Uttam of Bangladesh . I have watched many of his films while a student of then East Pakistan. He is certainly my hero.

27. fahad on Sun, 6th Jun 2010 5:48 am

sir i like u

28. MD.AZAD on Wed, 23rd Jun 2010 8:43 am

hi..
    i m doing modeling in hyderabad.im from kolkata.i m very very interested in acting.i done small dancing role in telgu movie.and i done drama in my village on the ocassin of sarsavati puja.sir i can do acting as real.
    just nrrd to check me ….
    contact;09000785230,azadmd47@yahoo.com

29. sojon khan on Thu, 15th Jul 2010 6:16 am

I am sojon khan. I am living in UAE for long time. Even i am outside of my country but i loved bangladesh. On that case i use to do evreything on my country.know i am getting 25years boy.

30. sojon khan on Thu, 15th Jul 2010 6:31 am

hi,
    Razzaq unkel.
    I wanna see that very well about your act.
    Its lookes u on movie you doing something real. I really happy that on my countray have got one good actor who can done acting look likes a real. Thats very intrasting think. Becouse when i watch your movie on that time i field that i am watching some pepole of sorrow or happy life. Its make me something difarents fileing for the sociles. And i am thinking that if i can done on my real life thats gowanna be very happy. Even ther got lot of sorow but i belive that who is doing with wnest he is never gowanna ful out from the life
    On that case i presid actor MR. RAZZAQ & i hope that god blease him as well.

31. Elham on Fri, 16th Jul 2010 4:32 am

Razzaq has made our film industry known to the world. He is our Dilip Kumar. He is an institution itself. Researchers should work on his works. May our film industry be gifted with personalities like him!

32. SABUJ THEOPHIL REBEIRO on Tue, 20th Jul 2010 2:12 pm

I ALWAYS LIKE ALL THE CINEMAS OF THE KING ACTOR OF BANGLADESH

33. razzak shabana fan on Sun, 1st Aug 2010 6:47 pm

love razzak shabana

34. uma on Sat, 21st Aug 2010 11:30 am

guys can u plz tell me where i can download all razzak-shabana movies.plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz thnx

35. Salem bin noor on Thu, 23rd Sep 2010 7:42 am

Sir,
    take my salam.I want to be actor.Many kinds Dance,hero,Villen anyother etc
    So,
    I beg most respectfully state that you can process my dream
    Your Dearest fan
    Salem bin noor

36. Salem bin noor on Thu, 23rd Sep 2010 7:51 am

I love you sir I like your movie

37. Mohammad Kamrul Hasan on Thu, 30th Sep 2010 1:48 am

Dear Uncle
    I know you from my child hood as a great hero of Bangla Film.

Very honerly speking
    My school English Teacher Name Doly Prova , Raozan , Chittagong write nobel, song, gazzal etc. She desired to meet with you and submit her written script to you.

Wating answer from you. Please.

Allah bless you every day each and every way.

Md. Kamrul Hasan
    Chittagong
    Phone : 01199264312
    bhai.hasan@yahoo.com

38. samiullah munna on Tue, 23rd Nov 2010 8:47 am

salam i m munna live in japan,i know u frm my child hood as best actor in bangla flim.still i remember ur chutir ghonta that is great movie.

39. Nirob hasan on Fri, 24th Dec 2010 1:05 pm

Razzak uncal u r the clasic actor in world

40. monzur on Mon, 27th Dec 2010 5:35 pm

Dear sir,
    salam to you. I am a doctor in america. I always love your movies all the time. I still make time to watch your movies. I love your recent calcutta movies aswell. My dream to meet you with my wife. If I can make an appointment, i would like to come to Bangladesh. May Allah bless you.
    Monzur

41. Md. Sharif on Thu, 20th Jan 2011 4:31 am

Dear Uncle,
    Take first Salam, I am your devotee, form my my child hood, You’re Really King of Film site.

your best regards
    Sharif

42. Dinar on Fri, 25th Feb 2011 2:32 am

allah bless you

43. zafar on Sat, 26th Mar 2011 10:48 am

i love U razzak bhai?????

44. touhid on Tue, 10th May 2011 2:19 pm

Respect Sir ♥♥♥

45. Emran hossain on Sat, 28th May 2011 7:10 pm

i want to

46. gazi kamal on Sun, 5th Jun 2011 10:08 am

i find my childhood dream in Razzak… Boro valo lok chilo …ekhono ache..

47. selim khan on Thu, 21st Jul 2011 5:04 am

sir,kemon achen?ami selim khan,film amar sopno,ami ekjon sottikarer valo actor hote cai,r amar mone hoy bortomane protisthito karo helpe chara ekjon sadharon manosh kono industryte gie nijer obostan sristi korte parbena….abar je kono karo help nia jekono kaje soflotao ase na,tai apnake beche neoa,amar bissas apni ekto help korle hoyto bd film industryte arekjon king khaner abirvab hobe……selim khan.

48. shihab on Wed, 21st Sep 2011 5:06 am

THE GREAT ACTOR RAZZAK.
    ASSALAMU ALAIKUM

PLS GIFT US SOME HISTORIAL NICE FILM

49. Tofael Hossain on Thu, 17th Nov 2011 1:19 pm

Razzak is the king of Bangla cinema.With out him Bangla cinema has no existence.The man who has never watched bangla cinema knows the name of Razzak,the king of bangla cinema.Actually bangla cinema is totally depend on him.I love very much King of bangla cinema.May you live long.

50. nur on Fri, 9th Dec 2011 4:26 am

hi uncle.ami egypt theke bolci.ami apnar moto boro hote chai

51. rohan on Fri, 27th Jan 2012 4:48 am

hi dadu how are you??????amake chinte perecho?????????? i am the grandson of (safirun nisha(chabi) and mohasin mondal) your sister and sisters husband….. form sonarpur,kolkata

52. M.A.RAZZAK on Thu, 22nd Mar 2012 10:18 pm

I AM STUDENT

53. Emdadul Haque on Sat, 31st Mar 2012 12:09 am

Razzaq, a living legend in Bangla Film industry. Early in my boyhood, I absconded school from the village to watch his films in the city. Will we get a second Razzaq? Perhaps yes, perhaps not. But how long will the nation have to wait for such a talented and sweet actor.

54. Dr. A. Momin on Sun, 17th Jun 2012 4:21 pm

Razzak is the son of Bengal, it is our Bengali Language the 7th largest in our UN member states mankind with the inspiration of Ekushe-February, 1971 liberation war for Amar Sonarbangla ami tumai bhalobasi & Epar Banla Opar Banla on way to success! A person like Razzk has the tremendous impact in upgrading our culture & language by his talented hero-acting that made him King of Banla Cinema as to know!

55. Dr. A. Momin on Sun, 17th Jun 2012 4:23 pm

Razzak is the son of Bengal, it is our Bengali Language the 7th largest in our UN member states mankind with the inspiration of Ekushe-February, 1971 liberation war for Amar Sonarbangla ami tumai bhalobasi & Epar-Bangla Opar-Bangla on way to success! A person like Razzk has the tremendous impact in upgrading our culture & language by his talented hero-acting that made him King of Bangla Cinema as to know!

56. Akbar Ali.KHASH NAOGAON MONDOL PARA.NAOGAON PROPER.NAOGAON.BANGLADESH on Thu, 21st Jun 2012 9:17 am

sir
    Kamon asen?Allah Aponake anekdin amader majhe beche rakhun.ami aponake vison posondo kori

57. Dr. T. R. Das MBBS, Khulna on Sat, 4th Aug 2012 2:52 am

Dear my only Hero,
    I have never seen any bangla film in cinema hall without you. I have at least 150 cinema in hall. I have 45 CD of your film. I need at least 100 cinema of you. Please help me to get it. I need your large picture to hang in my house . I want to talk with you & also meet with you it is dream of my life.
    My mobile No: 01715761899

58. Dr. T. R. Das MBBS, Khulna on Sat, 4th Aug 2012 2:55 am

Dear my only Hero,
    I have never seen any Bangla film in cinema hall without you. I have at least 150 cinema in hall. I have 45 CD of your film. I need at least 100 cinema of you. Please help me to get it. I need your large picture to hang in my house . I want to talk with you & also meet with you it is dream of my life. I wish your good luck
    My mobile No: 01715761899

59. Dr. T. R. Das MBBS, Khulna on Sat, 4th Aug 2012 3:09 am

Dear my hero,

Please give me one of your large picture. I want to talk & meet with you & it is my dream. I have seen ‘Shamadhi’ in 1977 & it was the first film when I am in class four.I have seen at least 150 film of yours. I need at least 100 film of yours in my house.At present I have collected 45 film of yours in CD & 04 music VCD of yours. I want all of yours music VCD. Please help me to collect it. My email address: drtrdas69@gmail.com
    Mobile No; 01715761899

60. LETION malaysia on Tue, 7th Aug 2012 7:43 am

so nice!

61. Shariful Islam on Fri, 10th Aug 2012 12:11 am

Actress Moushomi and The king of flim star Razzaque are my best person.They are really praiseworthy to our nation.

62. Dr. T. R. Das M.B.B.S on Sun, 16th Sep 2012 7:24 am

Dear Sir,
    Nomoskar. Kemon asen ? You are my only favourate hero in Bangladesh. I have never seen any film in the cinema hall without you. I want to meet you & it is dream of life.If I am able to meet with you it will be the greatest acheivement in my life. I have collected 50 film of yours & I want to collect at least 150 film of yours. My mobile no 01715761899. At least once I want to talk with you in my life. Vhalo thakben , thanks

63. Dr. T. R. Das M.B.B.S on Sun, 16th Sep 2012 7:42 am

Dear Sir,
    Nomosker. Asa kari vhalo asen. You are my only hero in Bangla film. I have never seen any film in the cinema hall without you. I want to meet with you in my life time , sir. My mobile no is – 01715761899. If you agree I want to talk with you, sir. Please give me the opportunity to meet with you or talk with you in my life time, sir. Vhalo thakben.

64. Md RAJU SHEKH on Thu, 20th Dec 2012 5:21 am